Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Fall Replacements

Spring Hill Nurseries sent some replacement plants for ones that never came up. Last week I planted five hostas and this morning I went out in the rain and planted three Hardy Cyclamen (neapolitanum).

It's not immediately obvious which side goes up or down. Here is what they look like: some kind of cookie with a rough spot on one side.



I decided to plant them with the smooth side down. Since the previous ones did not come up at all, I picked a different spot and prepared the soil by digging a hole that is over a foot across, mixed in sand, fertilizer, and dirt mixed with sawdust (from where the tree was removed at the back driveway).

Here they are, I thought it would be handy to have a picture so that I can look for them in the spring.



Finally I covered them with a couple inches of dirt.



Now I'll just have to get some mulch to cover them over. (Does anyone sell mulch this time of year?)

No comments: